May is Lupus Awareness Action Month and the Lupus Foundation of America is urging everyone to Take Action this month to spread awareness about Lupus. Today, May 16th is POP day. We want you to POP or Put On Purple to show your solidarity and support in raising awareness and helping in any way possible to move us toward finding a cure for this debilitating disease.
I didn’t have much purple in my closet this morning, so I opted to create a special Moody Manicure today to show my support and use this post to help spread awareness about what Lupus is and how each of us can help. I’m doing this for everyone out there, including my cousin Sakina (wanted to shout her out today) who suffers daily with the pain, various symptoms and effects of Lupus.
So for today’s Mani I used Sinful Colors Nail Polishes, which is one of my favorite nail polish brands. I used Let’s Talk 929 and Purple Diamond 102 as my accent polish. I added part of the Lupus Foundation logo on my accent nail. The reason for the Question Mark is because the cause or causes of Lupus still remain unknown. More research is needed.
Base: Sally Hansen – Strengthening Top Coat
Color: Sinful Colors – Let’s Talk 929
Accent: Sinful Colors Professional – Purple Diamond 102
Top Coat: Sally Hansen – Strengthening Top Coat
Facts About Lupus
- Lupus is a chronic autoimmune disease that ravages different parts of the body. Lupus can impact any organ or tissue, from the skin or joints to the heart or kidneys.Two leading causes of serious illness and death from lupus are kidney disease and heart disease.
- No two cases of lupus are alike. Common symptoms include joint pain, skin rashes, overwhelming fatigue and fevers that last for days or weeks. Most people with lupus don’t look sick.
- Lupus usually develops between ages 15 and 44 and it lasts a lifetime.
- While people of all races and ethnicities can develop lupus, lupus occurs two to three times more frequently among African-Americans, Asians, Hispanics/Latinos, Pacific Islanders and Native Americans than among Caucasians
Ways In Which You Can Help
- You can reach out to your local Lupus Foundation Chapter and DONATE.
- You can take action by spreading awareness through word of mouth with you friends and family or on social media. The Lupus Foundation provides some great tools you can use such as icons, banners, Facebook Covers, Profile images etc. that you can add to your websites, blogs and social media accounts to show your followers and friends that you took action.
- You can Put On Purple
- You can start a Fundraiser
- You Can Join the Walk to End Lupus Now
- Share your story by creating a Dear Lupus Video