One of my favorite quick dessert recipes to make for fall are Key Lime Shortcakes. If you’re already a key lime pie fan then this is the upgrade. Mine is a super easy recipe. If you prefer, you can make the filling ahead of time or refrigerate it overnight. *At no cost to you, I receive a small commission if you make a purchase through the links in this post.
Super Easy No-Bake Key Lime Shortcakes
This dessert is all about the cake you choose. Now, I prefer to use crumb cake because it adds a little bit of texture and crunch to the shortcakes but you can also use pound cake, homemade shortcake, or whatever you like.
You don’t have to use fresh key lime juice or key limes for this recipe. Regular limes are just fine.
The recipe also calls for lime zest anyway so you may as well use those same limes for fresh juice. Or, you can buy key lime juice that comes in a bottle in the baking section.
Just store it in the fridge as soon as you get home.
Another tip is to make sure your cream cheese has been thawed to room temp. If you use it too cold it’ll create lumps and you’ll be mixing forever trying to get the lumps out.
You’re going to need:
- A Mixer
- Mixing bowl
- Bread Knife
- Piping Bag & Tip
Perfect Key Lime Shortcakes Recipe
- Use your favorite storebought cake of choice
- Whipped Cream
Key Lime Filling
- 2 -16 oz. packages of cream cheese (room temp is best)
- 1/3 cup of key lime juice
- 14 oz. can of sweetened condensed milk
- Lime zest from 1 or 2 limes (optional)
1. With a bread knife, gently slice your cake, making sure to keep the slices thin.
2. Arrange a few slices of cakes on a serving dish.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, condensed milk, lime juice, and 1/2 of your lime zest. Mix well until smooth and creamy.
4. Pipe or spoon the mixture onto the cake bottoms and cover it with another slice of cake. Try not to do more than 2 layers or it can get messy. I like to stick to 1.
5. Top each shortcake with whipped cream and sprinkle the entire dish with the rest of your lime zest.
If you don’t plan on serving dessert right away, hold off on adding your toppings. You can refrigerate these for up to a few hours and top them right before serving.
Enjoy Your Dessert!
Let me know what you think about this quick dessert and as always you can leave a question or comment below. If you received this post via email, just click the little blue comment button.
Here are some other recipes to try!
What’s your favorite fall dessert to make?